Ever woke up with a neck pain that restricts your neck movement for even up to a week? For some, such discomfort could even be accompanied by a headache, shoulder or arm pain.
Stiff neck might be caused by:
- Sleeping on an unsuitable pillow
- Wrong sleeping posture
- Too much stress on the neck
- Excessive repetitive neck movement
- Holding the neck in an abnormal position for a long period
- Invasion of cold, wind and dampness
In TCM, blocked/deficient meridian(s) in the region could produce pain. Therefore, TCM treatment modalities such as acupuncture, scraping, cupping and medication are used to:
- Improve ‘Qi’ and blood flow in the affected meridian channel
- Unblock the meridian channel by dispelling wind, cold and dampness
Prevention is better than cure
To prevent neck ache from occurring, it is important to:
- Use a pillow of suitable height (approximately the size of a fist between the neck and bed.)
- Maintain a good posture.
- Do neck stretching and strengthening exercises regularly.
- Keep the neck area warm and dry.
Any other questions about TCM’s perspective on stiff necks? Let us know in the comment below!